Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An Ode to Air Conditioning

Culture shock is something that you have to adapt to when traversing the world and exploring new places. My trip in Russia is my first real experience with culture shock and the following are just a few of the things that I have experienced so far.

For starters, a lot of places do not have air conditioning, particularly apartments. You are probably thinking, well it is Russia and it is always cold, so why would they need air conditioning? Yes, in the winter it can be extremely cold. St. Petersburg averages about 19 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter. However, in the summer it can be very very hot! This past week, the temperature has reached over 80 degrees each day, and it is bright and sunny the majority of the day (and night). So after exploring the city for a few hours out in the hot sun, all you want is to go inside, grab a cool drink, and relax in the air conditioning. Well, unless you go to a cafe or business, that is unlikely to happen. Apartments are cooled off with the breeze let in through windows. However, windows are nothing compared to air conditioning. At night, I do not sleep with blankets, and cool showers are preferable. Today, we rode a tour bus for an hour to our excursion (and then back), and there was practically no air conditioning.  It was rough at first, and we eventually got used to it, but we ran to shade as soon as we got off.  Air conditioning is a wonderful luxury that we have become accustomed to in America, and I must say that I do miss it. I am very grateful for such technology and that we have the means to comfort ourselves with it back in the States. Surprisingly, the coolest place I daily traverse is the metro. The fast trains create a strong breeze underneath the ground, and you can enjoy it either while waiting for a train or while riding to your destination.

The metro is another thing I am really experiencing for the first time. We do not have metros in Ohio, and I never took public transportation until I reached college. And the buses in Columbus are nothing compared to the crowds that form on St. Petersburg public transportation. The city has a plethora of options to get from one place to another, which is very nice, but the obstacle lies in figuring out the route you need. I take the metro daily, and I think it is the simplest form of transport in the city. The lines are colored and it is very easy to transfer between lines when you need to. However, I do not think I will ever get used to all the people, or the smell.  Nonetheless, the metro gets me to where I need to be, and it is the cheapest form of transport. Besides, of course, walking. When walking to my destination is a plausible option, I always take it. Walking has numerous benefits, if you have the time: you can see the city, you get exercise, and it is free. I mean, who would not want to take a pleasurable stroll through such a beautiful and historic city?

Crowds in Russia, are well crowds. However, Russians' personal space is a lot smaller than Americans' personal space. When waiting in line, or to cross the street, or to purchase something, or to get on the metro, Russians are inches a part. They will not let anyone take their spot, but are more than willing to get in front of someone else. I have had to get closer to people than I would normally prefer in order to keep my spot and move through the crowd. It takes some getting used to, and I constantly have to remind myself to get a little closer to the person in front of me, or I will single myself out as a foreigner and lose my place.

On a more exciting note, we went to Peterhof Palace today! It is a complex of gorgeous palaces and gardens located on the Gulf of Finland. Peter the Great was the first emperor to build on the property, and tsars added to it as reigns changed. The Peterhof Museum Complex boasts that it is one of the most popular museums in the whole world, and it was super busy today. We had a guided tour through part of the grounds and saw many of the famously beautiful fountains. The grounds were beautiful, but I wanted the history. So inside the Grand Palace my friend and I went. The rooms were extremely ornate, and it was very neat to see some of the rooms used by Russian monarchs, particularly Peter the Great. There was so much to see at Peterhof, that we only saw a small part of the complex, but what we saw was incredibly beautiful!

Grand Cascade at Peterhof

1 comment:

  1. “Air conditioning is a wonderful luxury..” - I agree. No air-conditioning may sound impossible. It has already become a necessity to us through the years, especially during summer days. But every country has different weather and for Russia, I think it's understandable since it has a cold climate. Anyway, you gained lots of great discoveries in your trip. This is one advantage of taking vacations in another country: We learn foreign customs, different lifestyle, and meet wonderful people along the way. I hope you'll have more trips to come!

    Launce @ Harris Aire Serv

    ReplyDelete